How they Started: It all started in late 2003 over a plate of nachos. Scott and John, were commiserating together over their corporate jobs when the conversation migrated to their new-found passion…their babies. They both just entered the new world of fatherhood and were keenly focused on all the “gear” they had acquired to care for their children – strollers, car seats, cribs, and of course…the diaper bag. They were frustrated in their quest to find a diaper bag that inspired them. Neither of them wanted to carry mom’s flowery diaper bag, but their search for something masculine and functional was futile. So, as dads are known to do, they decided to fix the problem and set out to design some dad gear.
Scott and John have been best friends for over thirty years and business partners for over 10 years. Today, our StartupDad duo share a bit about their family life, the story behind their leaps and some key expert advice. Here are some of the key points they share in this episode:
- The benefits of an LLC
- Creating a contractual agreement when starting a business with a partner
- The value and benefits of attending a trade show
- Growing pains of starting a business while being fathers, husbands and full-time employees
- Creating a line of distinction between work and family
- How eating a full meal will give you a boost of energy in the wee hours of the morning pulling those all-nighters
- The importance of knowing your niche and investing your time in creating your product
- Why telling everyone in your network about your business can help your business
- The importance of pricing your product and knowing your market
- Managing your healthcare as a business owner
- What’s your secret sauce?John – Humor/ Scott – Efficiency
- What is one time management tool? Outlook, iPhone and Internet
- How do you stand out above the noise: Be true to your mission and be proud of what you’re doing
- What is a habit that attributes to your success as a Husband, Father and Entrepreneur? John – I constantly remind myself to be the best father I can be and taking lessons that I have learned as I keep going forward. Scott – I talk to my kids in a more adult manner, and being present when I am with them. As an entrepreneur, I am very competitive
- Book every StartupDad should read from an Entrepreneur & Fatherhood Perspective: Drive
Done For You Tech: Doneforyoutech.com is THE one-stop solution for ALL your online marketing tech headaches. Landing pages, sales pages, webinars… the list goes on and on. Check ‘em all off by heading over to doneforyoutech.com/startupdad and get a FREE sales page designed when you order a new website.
Take Action Join The Journey, Today: Get the latest posts and podcast episodes 3 days/week signup for free, HERE!
Support The Show: Subscribe, Rating & Review HERE
Find out how here: Idea to Launch in 3 Months (weekly Webinar)