Brave Enough To Leap With Kids? | Denny Krahe | Episode 14
Denny has been married for 8 years but he has only been a Father for 3 months. If you don’t include the 7 years of raising his dog So Denny is by far the youngest dad we’ve had on the show. So you know this will be interesting.
After being dissatisfied with his corporate job he Launched DK FitSolutions with the mission of bring workplace wellness programs to small/medium sized businesses. After a year of seeing little to no traction Denny Pivoted to providing personal training services, and in 6 months he had enough clients to replace his day job income and take the full leap.
All the while Denny was keeping a personal blog at dizruns.com. Where combines his passion for personal training with his sports medicine background to help train individuals for specific race distance or events.
- Review family fun photo (image above) – Husband, Father to three month old
- How does it feel to be a new dad? – It’s great!
- Balancing family and business by: There’s no real typical day, but I do try to spend some daddy-daughter time first thing in the morning and then spend some family time when my wife and daughter gets home.
- It was a drawn out process. I was at my job for about a year or so, and I started to think about my options.
- In 2010 early 2011 I began to think about a collaborative approach with businesses providing wellness fitness options. Unfortunately, that was turned down quite often. I began to think of what else could I do.
- The catalyst that inspired his leap My wife was completely supportive, and there were changes that was happening at my job, and those changes really weren’t for the better. As I was building up my client base, my wife was very supportive during the transition
- I knew people needed help, they wanted to be healthier, but maybe they weren’t into the gym crowd, so I thought I could go to them. I started looking for some clients and found some in my neighborhood and then branched out from there through word of mouth, networking and my website.
- Failure, Doubt or Fear: There’s definitely up’s and down’s on the entrepreneur rollercoaster where the thought has crossed my mind regarding going back to the corporate environment. I try to keep a strong determination, be realistic and keep the positives in mind.
- Hardest personal sacrifice: Sacrificing time with my wife and family especially because most of my clients are available during the evenings.
- Private Health Insurance: My wife and daughter is on her health insurance through her job and I bought a catastrophic injury insurance. I found my plan shopping online and comparing plans.
- What is one time management tip? I use evernote a lot and use a calendar
- Personal habits that attributes to your success as a Entrepreneur? Reading a book, workouts, running, clearing my mind and decompress.
- How would you compare being a new dad and being an entrepreneur: You think you are prepared, but until you actually get into it, you have no idea until you are actually doing it. Role with the punches and figure it out.
- Book every startup dad should read: The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur
- Dizruns-Twitter; DKFitSolutions.com; Dizruns.com – Denny Krahe
- The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur– Mike Michalowicz
- Ted Talk: Agile Programming by Bruce Feiler
Take Action Join The Journey, Today: Get the latest posts and podcast episodes 3 days/week signup for free, HERE!
Support The Show: Subscribe, Rating & Review Here
I hope you enjoyed, was able to connect and found value in Denny’s inspiring journey. If so please let us know by clicking on the link to share on twitter:
I’m not only the founder of Startup Dad Headquarters. I’m also a client – Follow along my journey as I progress and improve my skills both in interviewing: asking the right questions, extracting the tips, tactics and tools used by successful entrepreneur dads and in video production. This one is a little painful to watch but full of massive value 😉
Help us to promote the podcast and win a free copy of “Day Job to Dream Job” by Kary Oberbrunner. One winner selected each week.
Click HERE to enter to win.